Welcome to my world!

Somewhere between my fantasy and what is real

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Making new memories in an old place: Part 1 (The arrival)

Looking back, these past 3 months have given and taken so much out of me. Coming back to US, it just feels surreal to be here after all the excitement, fun times, drama and commotion from the past months. This has certainly been a wonderful experience and a memorable one. I feel like I’ve also grown up mentally and emotionally from having to deal with problems I faced but at the same time, the child in me is very much alive from being home with friends and family in KL and Tokyo.

My trip to Japan this time is even better this time than 4 years ago! Not only do I have my mum from KL to share it with this time, but being much older this time and meeting up old friends and family there brings a whole new meaning to me about being a part of the exchange student community. The saying, once an AFSer, always an AFSer has never meant more to me than now. Hearing my host father tell me that I’m the only student who has ever returned to their home was so touching and overwhelming. In a way, I felt like I never left Japan. Everything still feels so familiar and comfortable and I was surprised my Japanese was just as fluent if not better than before (or so everyone there claims). It all started at the airport where Mama came to pick me up. I manage to meet Diogo before his flight back to Brazil for summer. Maybe it’s fate that I miss my flight so that we can meet up at the airport where I arrive and he flies off. Over dinner, the whole family reunited and this time, I was part of the family and mummy played the part of the new host student.

My 37 hour journey to Japan has finally started...

Our 30 hour wait in Changi Airport

Having tea at the poolside in Changi

Diogo and I at Narita Airport

No comments: