Welcome to my world!

Somewhere between my fantasy and what is real

Monday, August 27, 2007

Still in my familiar place: Part 2 (Vacations and family time)

Our first trip out Tokyo was with Mama, Tomo, mummy and I to Hiraishi’s second home in Izu to go to the hot spring and watch fireworks. The hot spring experience was very nice but it was embarrassing for mummy as this was her first time being naked in front of everyone else but after a while, she stopped thinking and really enjoyed herself although she was red from head to toe from staying in the hot water too long. We had sushi and sweets before the fireworks began and the fireworks were beautiful as ever and this time I didn’t fall asleep! Getting a taxi home wasn’t too easy and we ended up waiting for about an hour because it was so packed. Tomo and I drank when we reached home and Tomo, mummy and I chatted till late. The next day we rushed to catch the Shinkansen to Kyoto but some problems occurred on the way and we missed our train along with our first class tickets. We manage to meet up with Papa halfway and Papa argued with the attendant to get our money back and this continued when we reached Kyoto station. Papa won in the end and we got some money back. Banzai!!!

Kyoto and Nara was sooooooooooo hot!!! We were in Japan in the hottest week of the summer and being in Kyoto and Nara, it was even worse. But the trip was fun as it was filled with delicious food, beautiful scenery and fun and laughter. We stayed in the ryokan as well and mummy was very happy as it was her first time. Over dinner one evening, I was recalling an experience about a senior’s nickname and it cracked everyone up and everyone was surprised how hilarious mummy was. As usual Tomo and I did our share of baka stuff but this time, mummy joined in! From our pretend wedding in front of the chapel to posing in the ryokan, mummy was in a good mood without understanding much. Luckily Mama communicated with her in Chinese while Papa spoke to her in English. We visited so many temples in both Kyoto and Nara. In Nara, there were so many deers and I was so scared when they all came to me that I made a fool out of myself and screamed so loud until mummy had to hug me and keep comforting me while mama tried distracting them. I feel so foolish now.Haha. One of the deers stuck close to mummy and they made such a cute couple.

Fresh wasabi

To the onsen (hot spring)

2 dead fish after the refreshing onsen

The beautiful parade of fireworks


Summer home

Temple in ancient Kyoto

Spring water

Kaiseki ryori (Traditional Japanese dinner)

My family

The Golden Pavilion (Kyoto)

So many temples, so little time

A little bit of heaven in the hot weather

The gobo (burdock root) family

This is not how its done...

Let me show you mummy

Making a fool out myself

New best friends


Beautiful Ryokan (Japanese hotel)

Naka yoshi



One the other days when we were in Tokyo, mummy and I practically traveled the whole of Tokyo in a few days. The first day we went to Ikebukuro, Shinjuku, Shibuya and Harajuku and we spent another day in Asakusa and Ueno. We went food hunting around Tokyo and I took her for some of my favorite foods including ramen, yakiniku, shabu-shabu and gyudon. OH THE FOOD WAS SO GOOD!!!!!!!!!! I also took her to meet Takeda family and Takeda-san Papa was funny and nice as ever. We also met Watanabe okaasan and Yuko where we had the best sushi in Tsukiji fish market. I had O-toro and it was fantastic!!! I manage to go to grandmother’s house for a while to pay my respect to grandfather, my beloved ojiichan who passed away about a year and a half after I left Tokyo. I also took mummy to Koishikawa High and we met up with my teacher to have lunch. I missed everyone so much and it was so nice to see everyone who took care of me. Tomo, mummy and I went to the Edo-Tokyo and sumo museum as well before mummy went home.

Living it large in Tokyo

Visiting Meiji-jingu temple (Our serenity in between chaos)

Asakusa


Sushi at Tsukiji Fish Market with Watanabes'. Oishii!

Fooling around at the sumo museum. Baka ne!


Last lunch with mummy. Fugu (blowfish) and shabu-shabu.

On the day, Papa and I saw mummy off at the airport and I was on my own for the next couple days. I felt a little sad and lonely as I watched mummy leave for I didn't know when was the next time I would see her. Spending time with mummy was amazing as I showed her the serene, the chaos, and wonderful colors Japan and Tokyo has to offer. I hope she had a great time and manage to experience Japan life in 10 days, what I took a year to do. I love you mummy!!


No comments: